Progetto di sostenibilità del Complesso Monumentale della Basilica di San Francesco in Assisi.
The Ecology of Francesco (ENG) IN CORSO
A caring event for the custody of creation
The Ecology of Francesco
On behalf of the Organising Committee of The Economy of Francesco – Global Event, Sisifo Società Benefit realised a Plan for the Custody of Creation aimed at significantly reducing the environmental impact of the event, during which young entrepreneurs and changemakers gathered in Assisi from 22 to 24 September 2022 to sign with Pope Francis the pact for a new economy. At the conclusion of the event, Sisifo developed the event’s carbon footprint calculation and prepared the Impact Report available here.
- 90% Green economy
- 90% Sostenibilità
- 80% Networking
- 80% Comunicazione
- 60% Pubbliche relazioni
- 60% Lobbying
Indice di resilienza
Scarica il Report in Italiano
Download the English Report
On 1 May 2019, Pope Francis addressed a letter to young economists, entrepreneurs, and change-makers from around the world in which he invited them to an event to come together, get to know each other and sign a ‘pact’ to change the current economy and give a soul to the economy of tomorrow.
The Pope pointed to St Francis as a model of inspiration and in fact wanted the event to be called ‘The Economy of Francesco‘ and to take place in Assisi from 26 to 28 March 2020. The spread of the Covid-19 pandemic forced the event to be postponed.
Despite being unable to experience that moment of encounter, the young people who joined the initiative committed themselves to initiating, albeit at a distance, a process of reflection, confrontation and dialogue that has never stopped since.
Two years later, the path initiated at that time could finally be completed in the in-presence meeting held in Assisi from 22 to 24 September 2022.
From 22 to 24 September young economists and change makers from all over the world met in Assisi to try together to rethink a model of economy inspired by integral human development, social friendship, and universal fraternity and to sign a pact for a new economy with Pope Francis.
These days of work and sharing took the form of both plenary sessions and group work organized in 12 thematic villages located in various parts of the city.
The encyclicals Laudato si’ and Fratelli tutti outlined an organic path of integral human development and constitute the indispensable guidelines for the planning of all human activity. The Economy of Francesco has adhered to these lines to become a sign of the common Pilgrimage of Integral Ecology. This intention has been translated into Actions of Custody of Creation directed towards the realisation of an event that is environmentally, socially, and economically sustainable.
The main objective was to limit the negative impact the event would have on the environment through actions to care for the common house that could mitigate the impact caused.
The Plan for the Custody of Creation was divided into eight areas of intervention:
- Set-ups: use of PEFC-certified pallets, wood, and cardboard for which post-event reuse by a local company has been defined.
- Disposable materials: the initial intention of completely eliminating disposable materials had to be adapted to the provisions of the health authorities, which required the use of disposable packaging for the distribution of foodstuffs; it was therefore decided to use disposable supports made of biodegradable and compostable materials in compliance with UNI EN 13432, which could be collected in the organic fraction and subsequently taken to composting plants. The same type of media was used in vending systems for hot drinks and snacks. For the water supply, a reusable water bottle was made available to each participant to be filled at the water distribution points set up in the event’s refreshment area.
- Catering: the distribution of meals was planned with the support of young people from the city’s Hotelier Institute; raw materials were provided by farmers working on property confiscated from organised crime and the earthquake crater in Umbria, from organic farming and local producers. Honey snacks were provided in the vending machines to draw attention to the important issue of bee extinction caused by climate change and pollution. The tables in the refreshment area used were those provided by the territorial Pro Loco, which made them available for the event.
- Waste sorting was implemented at the various designated locations with the placement of both indoor and outdoor bins adapted in number and type to the needs of the event. The collection points were manned by volunteers to facilitate the sorting of the materials handed in.
- Sustainable diary made of certified paper and pen made of Mater-Bi bioplastic
- Impact calculation: through a monitoring system of the event’s activities, the overall impact of the event was calculated with particular attention to the CO2 equivalent emitted into the atmosphere and that avoided thanks to the choices implemented by the Plan for the Custody of Creation.
- Impact report: a detailed carbon footprint report was prepared, highlighting not only the carbon footprint of the event but also the tonnes of CO2 equivalent avoided through the implementation of the Actions for the Custody of Creation
Scarica il Report in Italiano
Download the English Report
THE RESULTS OF THE REPORT
A reading of the impact report shows significant achievements in terms of environmental, social, and economic sustainability, and in particular:
- Waste sorting: 93% sorting and 75% organic fraction collected with subsequent delivery to composting plant
- Climate change emissions avoided through Custody of Creation actions: 116 tonnes of CO2 equivalent
- Climate-altering emissions actually generated by the event: only 27 tonnes of CO2 equivalent
- Significant reduction in food waste: of the 3437 meals distributed, surpluses of about 440 meals were delivered to local organizations committed to helping families and people in need
THE BENEFITS DERIVED
The drafting of the report describing and then analysing what was planned and realised does not only have a reporting function with respect to the sustainability of the event, but also intends to:
- increase awareness of anthropogenic pressure on the environment with special attention to events
- call for a commitment to activate virtuous actions to absorb the CO2 emitted that can offset up to zero climate-changing emissions
- provide a model that can be an inspiration for other church and non-church events
- promoting a sustainable economy
- promoting legality
- disseminate the principles of integral ecology and good practices of environmental, social and economic sustainability inspired by Pope Francis’ encyclicals Laudato si’ and Fratelli tutti
The following organizations collaborated in the Custody of Creation Actions
- BANCA POPOLARE ETICA
- CARTIERE BURGO
- CARTIERE FABRIANO
- CITTÀ DI ASSISI
- CONAPI – MIELIZIA
- ECAMRICERT – MERIEUX NUTRISCIENCES
- ECOZEMA – SOCIETÀ BENEFIT – B-CORP
- FONDAZIONE CON IL SUD
- FONDAZIONE PERUGIA
- ISTITUTO ALBERGHIERO DI ASSISI
- PRO LOCO DEL TERRITORIO
- PROGETTO FRA’ SOLE
- PROGETTO LUCENSIS
- NOVAMONT – SOCIETÀ BENEFIT – B-CORP
- PALM W&P
- PALM SPA – SOCIETÀ BENEFIT – B-CORP
- SADESIGN – CREATIVE MERCHANDISING
OFFICIAL PAGE OF THE CREATION CUSTODY PLAN
ITALIAN https://francescoeconomy.org/it/custodia-del-creato/SPANISH https://francescoeconomy.org/es/cuidado-de-la-creacion/